Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Between Adventures

Back in Seattle for the moment. Drove from Montana all day in 90 degree heat and no a/c, but accepted the gracious footrub from my driver and hung my toes out the window for most of it :)
I'm officially a quarter century old now. What made it the best birthday yet? My almost-3-year-old nephew leading the party with the most adorable rendition of 'happy birthday to you' I've ever heard in my life. Brought a tear to my eye, and oh how I wish I'd had a video camera. Even better would have been the birth of my niece, but she liked it in that cozy womb. Last night, the night before I was scheduled to head back to Seattle, she made her dazzling appearance into our world. While I missed the birth of my nephew, there was no way in blue hell that I was going to miss the birth of my niece. Ashley has been miserable for nearly a month, and watching her pain increase as the day drew near was so torturous to watch... I just wanted to take it away for her. 12 hours after the induction yesterday morning, it was time to push. She was so amazing, so strong... the epitome of a beautiful woman. Seeing her baby's head for the first time was the most intense, emotional, fascinating and spiritual experience of my life. I feel that an attempt to describe it in words is so feeble... as in the moment all I could do was cry for pure joy and amazement. I am so grateful and blessed to be a part of a moment of so much love, beauty and perfection. How did I end up with such a wonderful woman as my best friend? Someone that I admire, respect and love so much it brings me to tears just to look at her sometimes? I still get teary just writing about it. Most who know me know that I'm an emotional sap anyway, but my God... that moment takes my proverbial cake. With ice cream.

I love you beyond words Ashley Rose Day, and happy one-day-old birthday to Saraya, your beautiful and perfect creation. I am deeply humbled, and beyond grateful and blessed to be in your life, and in your family. I will see you soon :)

With so much love and gratitude,
Emily Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment