Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The final countdown

As the end of my trip draws near, I can't help but think about all the things I miss about home, as well as all the things I will miss about Ireland.  There are no Mexican people here, therefore no Mexican food.  This is very hard for me, and I have already put in my order with Amy, who will be bringing it to the airport for me as a burrito-carrying angel.  I'm really excited to come home and eat countless succulent pieces of raw fish, as that is a rarity here as well.  I miss the sun, I miss the ocean, I miss the smell of the ocean, I miss the sound of seagulls.  I miss my roommate and the doggies, I miss my super amazing and wonderful friends and my lovely cohort at Seattle U.  I miss driving my car, I miss cooking my own food, I miss my delicious bed, and I really miss Montana and all of my loves in it.
However, I will miss the delicious taste of real Guinness.  I will miss everyone saying Hiya, Cheers, Brilliant!, Grand!, and saying Bye at least 3 times before actually hanging up the phone.  I will miss the beautiful green patchwork quilt of the Irish countryside, and the cobblestone streets of Dublin, even though they are really dirty.  I will miss my fabulous co-workers at CityArts, and I will miss my Shanowen peeps and random hikes to the Comet for cheap Jameson and unwanted yet hilarious advances by the elder locals.  I will miss my Indian waiter buddy at Diwali, and the adventures of the Dublin bus system.  
I try to think of my favorite moments of the last 7 weeks... and images of Ceol Craic agus Rinca flash into my head, alongside the Killarney downtown, the epic Cliffs of Moher, miles of hydrangeas, learning to pour the perfect Guinness, Black Cab tours, drumbeats and firedancers, amazing salmon and never ending smiles and laughs at random pubs with true Irish folk.  
While there have been difficult moments, this experience has opened my eyes to an abundance of possibilities that I thought I had done more than scratch the surface of before.  As a close friend told me it would, it really has changed my life... for the better... as things such as this tend to do.  
Everyone on this trip has taken at least one excursion outside of Ireland, and this final weekend I am taking mine to Barcelona, Spain.  While I had a brief episode of anxiety about the flight arrangements and the abundance of pick-pocketers, I have calmed down and cannot wait to prance on the beaches of Spain and explore the beautiful gothic architecture of such a beautiful and historical city.  Upon my return from Spain, my best friend Danielle will be arriving in Dublin.  Oh how we have waited for this moment, to be abroad together.  Watch out Dublin, make sure your kegs are tapped and your Jameson is stocked.  We have front row tickets to Riverdance and we are THIRSTY.  I love everyone, and I cannot wait to see you again :) 

Love and Tapas,

Emily Jo

2 comments:

  1. My dear sweet Em,
    As my evening comes to an end on this Friday evening and your morning begins to break, I want to say "thanks so much" for sharing your stories with me and so many others. As I caught up on your blog, finally --- the day before you are coming back home, (okay---better late than never) I read through the August 12th post and stepped into your words of the things you'll miss and the things you'll welcome upon returning to us stateside friends. We've all missed you and yes, your life has definitely changed. As all experiences such as living and traveling abroad will do to one, or even traveling to Hawaii solo, as I did last year (okay, maybe not quite Ireland, but it was Kauai)lives change, evolve and meld into new chapters of our life.
    I am so anxious for you to come home, yet also so sad for you to leave your experiences behind. You've travelled to castles, to sea clifts, to concerts and riverdances. You've drank some of the best beers and concoctions with red hot peppers. You've even managed to find mexican food after floating amongst some of the most luxurious salt water in the world right under the scrumptious skylines of Barcelona. You've experienced dirty streets at night, lively paths in sunrises, and solem streets at sunsets.
    And...you've captured hundreds, maybe thousands of photos and written countless prose to share the experiences, the laughters, the tears and the moments only you will truly hold dear in your heart. Although reading and viewing from my wee little moments here at the computer in good old Edmonds, I realize you've given me and many such a gift through your willingness to share with your friends, family and schoolmates all the decadent experiences of your former weeks.
    Thank you for your experience. I'm glad it was exactly the experience you had. Because my sweet dear friend, just as you mentioned once to me, God long ago drew a circle in the sand around the very spot you are standing today. Every experience, every moment, every breath you took, was meant to be. Although some were challenging, others were exuberating and some completely exhausting...some even made you laugh so hard, you probably thought your sides were going to open up. Remember these, every one of them and embrace them while you remember each and every moment you lived. As you board that plane for home tomorrow, never forget these memories you've held dear in your heart these past months. They'll be many moments you'll want to share with loved ones for years to come. Never let them dissolve.
    Looking forward to seeing your smiling face so very soon and sharing a glass of wine at Kafe Neo while we share your memories together.
    Muah...I love you girlfriend! Safe travels back to us in the morning.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, that is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. I never thought that someone else would be able to sum up my experience so poetically for me :) I'm so glad that you have enjoyed following along, and I hope that we can continue to do the same for each other as our lives progress. I'm so grateful to know you and call you my friend :)

    Love you so,
    Em

    ReplyDelete