Saturday, January 1, 2011

Nova Godina

It is officially 2011.  It’s a strange feeling.  A year ago today I was partying in Spokane with Danielle and her man, and hiding with my other single friend in the spare room because we didn’t want to deal with all the schmoopy ridiculous couple-y kissy crap when the clock struck midnight.  This year, I’m on the other side of the planet, wishing I was able to kiss my future husband when the ball dropped.  Ah, the irony. 
New Year’s here in Macedonia is the most largely celebrated holiday of the year, even more so than Christmas.  There was a fireworks display worthy of our Independence Day, barbeque, rakija and wine flowing like water, Turkish belly dancers, singing, dancing, lights, and incredibly cold weather.  I enjoyed the cultural experience until the reckless use of fireworks by the local children caused me to fear for the safety of my eyeballs.  So I retired to my cozy little apartment to Skype with my loves and tell them how awesome 2011 is already, and in 8 hours they would see for themselves.  Or just to be warm and watch movies and try to figure out how I felt about spending New Years in another country without anyone that I would typically spend it with.  I also have a somewhat strange feeling about this year, like I can’t get a good read on the kind of year its going to be.  I’m going to be doing a lot of traveling with work, which will be amazing.  I’m going to be working with my group of girls for the art class as well as for GLOW, which I’m ridiculously excited about.  But I have this odd feeling deep down that something not-so-great/really weird is going to happen this year.  I don’t know why.  I definitely don’t want to start out the year on that note… maybe its because I’m sitting here by myself (by choice) in a foreign country on new years and I’m slightly homesick and its influencing my perceptions.  A year is what you declare it to be I feel, so I would like to declare that this year is going to be even better than the last, as all the years have been so far.  But right now, I really want to be at home with my loves.  Tomorrow, I’m sure I’ll feel better… so maybe I should just go to bed. 
Happy New Year, may your 2011 be even better than your 2010 :)
Peace and love,
EM

No comments:

Post a Comment